Friday, January 9, 2009

Back to It

Well the first week back to school is over! The teachers have been telling me all year that coming back to school after Christmas is great because somehow the kids seemed to have matured and they come back ready to be in school mode. It turned out to be quite true, especially with the little kids. I'm excited about the things I have planned for this semester, so hopefully they continue to be really good.
I scheduled my PRAXIS III yesterday as well. First year teacher's in Ohio (and some other states) have to be observed by someone from the state during the second semester of their first year of teaching. The person comes and observes a 30 minute lesson and meets with you before and after. If you pass, you get your extended teacher's license. I have my observation schedule for Friday, February 13th. My mentor is superstitious and didn't want me to do it on Friday the 13th, but since it's the last day before Valentine's Day, I can do a super cute Valentine's lesson.
The only other real excitement from the first week is that I went home after my two morning classes today because I have no voice. I feel totally fine except that I can't talk, so I thought I'd be ok, but the band director took my 6th grade class in the afternoon because I didn't think I'd be able to handle them without a voice. Sooo hopefully it will be returning soon! Happy weekend :)

2 comments:

BethO said...

Eh, I don't know if I agree with your band director. For the most part, kids seem to be more cooperative if they know you aren't feeling 100% well, you don't have a voice, etc. The day my worst class this year was at their best was the day I had a bad cold. And at WCB last year, the quietest class was the day I taught a silent lesson!
But yeah, it depends on the class. Crazy unpredictable kids :-P

Corynn said...

Good luck with your observation! Or, should I say break a leg! Hope you feel better.