Friday, February 13, 2009

PRAXIS III

Well my PRAXIS III is done and over with and it went well! My observer got to school about 9:30am and we met for the pre-observation interview. It was kind of awkward because you're asked these predetermined questions, and the observer just writes down what you say with no feedback. After that was the lesson. I used one of my 3rd grades and they were awesome! There were no behavior issues whatsoever, but they acted like normal kids and gave really good answers and asked questions showing that they were really thinking about what was going on. My lesson was pretty cute if I do say so myself. We did the song "Love Somebody" and played a heads up seven up style game where three kids were given Valentine's and as we sang the song they had to drop it behind someone else's back. At the end of the song, the kids that had Valentine's had to guess who put it there. We did the rhythmic dictation of the song on the SMART board, then split into groups where they composed their own "roses are red, violets are blue" poems and added body percussion to it. After the lesson, the observor and I met again to go over what happened in the lesson, basically to check my ability to reflect on what happened. After four years in BW music ed, that wasn't much of a problem ;) At the end, the guy was like "well I'm not supposed to say anything, but you did a great job," so I think I'm good and can get my grown up teacher's license! After everything was over, I went to the 3rd grade who did my lesson and they were so cute! I walked in and they were like "did we pass? did the guy think we did a good job??" They got brownies for their efforts :)
I was supposed to go out for mudslides tonight with Emily to celebrate the end of first year teacher stuff, but I'm stuck shivering under the covers with a fever. I haven't had a non-cold illness in years! I'm hoping I feel better soon. I was sick last long weekend too and that's no fun. Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Good job, Miss Hensberry!!! Hope you feel better :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Gotta love those third graders~

Corynn said...

Glad you did well. It sounds like you really did have a great lesson! Feel better.

BethO said...

Congrats on finishing that Praxis III!